Wednesday, January 20, 2010

English??

As many of you know, i have graduated. People keep asking me what i am doing now that i'm done with school and my response is "I'm taking more classes." I just can't seem to be able to let go! So, i am taking classes at SLCC (salt lake community college for my non-UTard family). I have joined the ASL fast track program to get my interpreting skills up to par... and I LOVE it! The only downside to this, is that i have to drive to Salt Lake twice a week, which for me is quite a bit of driving considering i used to take the bus everywhere.

But, Mark and I have found a way to turn my boring drive time into my productive time! I am learning Mandarin! We got a CD set from the library and I'm getting pretty good if i do say so myself!I can already say "I am an American," "I speak English," "I speak a little Mandarin," "Do you speak English?," "Excuse me, can i ask?," I know how to make a phrase a question, say two different types of "yes" and "no," and all kinds of variations and mix-and-match's of all those! Considering I've only done it for about a day and a half i'm feeling pretty good. So good in fact that I had my first dream in Mandarin! It was SOO weird. In my dream i kept trying to talk to Chinese people saying all of my new phrases, but towards the end i just kept running around shouting English?!!! English?!!! I felt like i was stuck saying just my few phrases and i was desperate to find someone who I could really talk to! I thought it was pretty funny!

3 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

wow, that's impressive

CS Fenn said...

Now you need to learn CSL! (if there is such a thing). I'm thinking that with your developing Chinese skills and your amazing sign skills, you'll find a way of making them understand you! ps I was laughing at the picture in my head of you running around frantically yelling, ENGLISH?!!

allison said...

oh callie. callie callie callie. you crack me up girl. seriously. i so know what you're talking about with the dream. did that same thing with spanish. told grandma hatch that and she said that's a good sign. so keep it up girlfriend!