Thursday, May 21, 2009

ADC 5K

So last weekend Mark and I participated in a 5K race for ADC (Association for Deaf Children) It was so great! We signed up about 2 months before, but didn't end up really training for it until the week before. I like to run, but haven't really done it in a long long time, and Mark has never really been a runner. But, we thought it would be a good motivator for us to get into better shape.

So for those of you who don't know, a 5K is 3.1 miles. two days before the race we ran 2.8 miles. then the day before we were sissys and only ran about 1.something. But we thought we would do just great. and we did!!

Here we are before the race:

and here is the heard at the start:


So now for the drama. So in the race they had a couple spots where they had water stations. (you grab a cup of water as you run by) also, the people who "work" at the station tell you where to go. Apparently one of the "workers" didn't get the memo to tell everyone to turn, so we kept going straight.... and all ended up running 4.25 miles instead of the 3.1 we signed up for.

I was actually excited to find out we ran further than anticipated because towards the end i was really hurting. I couldn't figure out why i was so tired and winded. Now I feel better knowing it wasn't just me!

Here is Mark just about to cross the finish line. Why is Callie so far behind you might ask??

Because she was holding out so she could sprint the end and pass him up!!

So we wound up running 4.25 miles in 42 minutes! not to bad for amateurs.

Here is our cheesy photo shoot after we had caught our breath. (i looked awful after i finished, so you dont get the immediately after pics)

We had a great time! and are excited to find more races to run in!

4 comments:

rachel said...

Great job! I'm glad I left it up to you professionals ;)

Wendy said...

Hey nice pics! What a wonderful photographer! You guys did a great job running, I almost didn't get you in the shot Callie, becaue you were THAT fast!

Mauzy Fam said...

How fun! I'm impressed with your time. It would have taken me 4 hours. Ha ha! I'm not a runner.

Cheryl said...

Congrats! That is a really good time- especially for that extra bit of mileage. It has been forever since I ran a race... maybe someday I'll do one again.
You gonna start marathons now?